Marysville Real Estate - Find Your Perfect Home For Sale!
Marysville - Town vs. County Stats
Avg Price in Marysville: $181,800 / County Avg $278,600
Avg Taxes in Marysville: $2,500 / County Avg $2,700
Avg Sq. Ft. in Marysville: 1,600 / County Avg 1,930
Avg Price per/ft2 in Marysville: $114 / County Avg $144
Avg Walkscore in Marysville: 24 / County Avg 22
Avg Year Built in Marysville: 1971 / County Avg 1967
Avg Days on Website in Marysville: 57 / County Avg 78
Marysville Real Estate Market Health
Marysville is located on the western shore of the St. Clair River, across from Corunna, Ontario. The city is marked by winding streets, subdivisions, a riverfront boardwalk, and an industrial park. The city was home to the former Wills Sainte Claire Automotive company.
Marysville traces its history back to 1786 when Antoin Morass built a sawmill at Bunce Creek. Later, in 1817, Zephaniah W. Bunce sailed up the St. Clair River and settled at the place of the mill, naming it Bunce Creek. This would later become the current property of the Detroit Edison Marysville Power Plant. He later became postmaster and a Michigan Territorial Legislator.
The Marysville Power Plant was the site of Zephaniah Bunce's settlement.
Meanwhile, two businessmen, Meldrum & Park, founded a sawmill in 1792 at the location now known as Carleton Creek. This settlement was located in the southern part of current day Marysville, two streets are named after them. Colonel Andrew Mack, a native of Detroit, bought Meldrum and Park's mill begun and built his home along the St. Clair River. Colonel Mack and his wife, Amelia, are buried on the north bank of Carleton Creek in the Riverview Golf Course.
Later, Edward P. Vickery settled at the present day foot of Huron Boulevard in Marysville. He named the operation Vickery's Landing and the settlement surrounding it eventually became known as Vicksburg. However, there was already another Vicksburg, Michigan, so in 1859 the name was changed to Marysville, after Nelson Mill's wife Mary.
These small settlements were brought together by inventor and engineer, C. Harold Wills. He worked at the Ford Motor Company, and was a personal friend of Henry Ford. His contributions to the Ford company included "Blue Oval" logo, still used on Ford Products today. He resigned in 1919 and moved to Marysville. Wills established the C. H. Wills & Company on the banks of the St. Clair River. Two years later in 1921, the first Wills Ste. Clair automobile was produced (named for the factory's location on the St. Clair River). The factory closed in 1926 after, only 14,000 vehicles were ever made by the Wills factory. The former factory currently houses the Chrysler Corporation MOPAR parts distribution facility.
Wills is credited with the street design and city planning of Marysville. He nicknamed Marysville the "Dream City". The only area of the city to actually be developed before his company folded was area surrounding Washington Elementary School. The community was deeply affected by the Great Depression, and the vision for the city was never fully realized. Subdivision development in the later half of the 20th century has further offset the strategic plan for the City of Marysville.
Marysville was incorporated as a village in 1919. It became an incorporated city in 1924.
|Areas in Marysville MI|